5 UI Best Practices for QlikView Designers
QlikView allows the designer to take a simple object, report or entire application and play with a vast number of properties and characteristics. QlikView really does unleash the designers’ freedom to create any design or layout they please.
However, all this design freedom can easily destroy an application if a few simple best practices are forgotten. Here I will list my top 5 to help with creating that killer front end.
1) DAR – Dashboard, Analysis, Report; I like my applications to follow these 3 stages. Firstly a Dashboard to provide that quick overview of critical information. Then Analysis of this critical information where the issue is identified and how it can be solved. Finally through to Report where the detailed transactional data is displayed to allow an action to be taken.
2) Data Association; never forget QlikViews main Data Association feature showing what’s in the grey! Simple list boxes are these days replaced by fancy search objects or hidden selections but are these still able to show the data associations QlikView is so good at? Remember the power of the Green, White and Grey!
3) No more than 3 Distinct Colours; don’t go overboard with use of colour, any UI expert will tell you to use more than 2-3 distinct colours is suicide! Shades of the same colour can always be used if more are needed.
4) Segmentation and Separation; separating out the selections and different key areas within an application is a must! An attractive way of achieving this is through the utilization of light boarders and white space to break up the available area or real estate.
5) Menu Icon; the export to excel, print and other menu icon can all be replaced by the ‘Menu’ icon. The menu icon can be added to charts and objects removing the cluttered mess of many buttons and returning a single, clean arrow icon. This contains all the options available for the object also removing the need for these additional buttons.
There are plenty more tips and best practices out there so if anyone has any thoughts please feel free to post a comment below.