BI Gone Mobile – Initial Business Considerations
Mobile devices are everywhere, at home, at work and in your pocket. It is impossible to take a tube journey without finding yourself trying to read what the person next to you has on their iPad! With this surge in personal mobile devices employees want to now run corporate applications on these devices. This drastically increases the possibilities for BI reporting to move mobile but produces 3 questions which any business must first answer;
1) Which type of employees can benefit most from mobile BI?
It is easy to identify who needs mobile capabilities from their job role, employees who spends a good amount of their time away from their desk and need to check reports throughout the day is a good candidate for mobile BI.
2) Which BI tasks make most sense in a mobile environment?
Mobile devices tend to be small, with limited processing power so big power hungry reports are not suited to these small devices. Below offers criteria for evaluating tasks that make sense for mobile BI.
- Here and now? – Do the tasks need to be addressed immediately?
- Small and intangible? – Is the information about the tasks easy to digest?
- Perishable? – Does the information lose value if it’s not acted upon right away?
3) Is your mobile BI provider capable of supporting these BI tasks?
Finally to ensure a stable and secure mobile BI platform it is vital a BI provider capable of supporting your BI needs is used. A number of BI tools on the market claim to provide mobile BI but in reality are unusable. Over the past few years QlikTech has put a large amount of resource into its mobile BI development allowing a solid mobile BI QlikView platform to be produced.
There is plenty more to think about when it comes to mobile BI so if anyone has any thoughts or handy tips please feel free to post a comment.